Friday, December 19, 2008

just eat it.

I’ve been thinking about cracking open my cancer diet & lifestyle books again. In the beginning I was all gun-ho to get the latest books and overhaul my diet to eat things that directly supported my health and didn’t contribute to the cancer.

Ya that went out the window after reading, it never made it execution! I actually had a very basic low fat diet (with a side of chocolate) before I got sick. I didn’t add salt or sugars to stuff, I eat cereals that tasted like cardboard because they’re healthy, low fat everything and dairy free; I’m a soy girl. But I couldn’t even keep up dietary habits let alone improve upon them once this ride got started for two reasons: I started losing my taste buds, and my parents took over the cooking.

One of the joys of moving out on your own as an adult is that you get to do things your way. You get to try new foods, experiment, create your own method of sustaining yourself. The joy of moving back home when you have cancer is that your family can take care of you, and slowly kill you with their methods of sustaining themselves! This evening I saw my father put a quarter cup of salt in a 2 liter pot of water to boil pasta, a quarter cup over a pinch! When I commented about cholesterol levels he was like “you don’t want to eat it, the peanut butter is in the cupboard!” I’m too tired to make my own meals, I ate the clogged artery spaghetti and man was it good!

I also lost the eat well battle to taste buds. After 3 months I couldn’t taste my low fat soy milk, started drinking high fat vanilla soy in my new sugary cereal; bye bye spelt flakes. All the books I was reading encouraged me to embrace a raw food diet. Yes after a rough day of chemo that’s exactly what the body wants, chunks of cold carrots and broccoli, no no Ill pass on the Tim Horton’s fruit explosion muffin give me roughage!

No comments: