Saturday, November 21, 2009

Fever Watch


Met with a doctor (one of the randoms I now see in the BMT clinic) on Friday for my post-chemo follow up appointment on day 9 of my 14day schedule that makes up the Stem Cell Collection Phase.

Day 1 & 2 are chemo days (done) and then we wait 7 days while my blood counts steadily drop all the while taking injections to grow stem cells at the same time. By day 11 & 12 my counts are at their lowest and the stem cells are at their highest, so then we collect day 13 & 14.

BMT likes to meet with the patient on day 9 to check for fever and caution them to be on constant fever watch for days 10, 11 & 12 until Tuesday’s collection.

Apparently almost everyone gets the fever because their counts are just so low they can’t fight off any bugs. But it’s more about all the bugs and bacteria we already have in our bodies that will lead to infection and fever than the risk of picking bugs up from someone else. The body’s cell count is just so low it can’t handle its own issues.

Well I'm full of un-handled issues (ha!)... so I'm on fever watch:

No comments: