Monday, November 09, 2009

What does one boob, "happy juice" & Bob Marley have in common = A Permacath!


Today was relatively easy mostly because I just told myself it would be - and it was! There could have been lots of things to get concerned or wigged out about, but I chose to just roll with it and it was all good! I didn`t even know what a Permacath was exactly or what it would look like – but I gotta have it so who cares.
I did have some trouble getting an IV line in my hand. I told the nurse she should go to the last spot I have in my hand that gives blood but it quickly turned into credentials war ``I’ve been a nurse for...`` ya well ``I’ve been a patient for...`` and of course I lost the fight so three painful tries later we got a line in – in the spot I had originally suggested. So I guess I won the war... Id gloat but my hands are too sore to type much!

The surgery was orchestrated by a room full of male nurses and doctors - and my exposed boob! There was allot of prep and cleaning and then it all gets fuzzy. I do remember the flesh freezing needles, they hurt quite a bit but then the IV `happy juice` kicked in and everything was good or should I say ``everyting was irie``. It seems to me that the whole thing took about 10 minutes, but I don`t recall anything about those 10 minutes. It`s as if I am aware that they happened and I was present but I can`t remember a thing about that time. And in fact it was probably more like 20 minutes had passed but my perception of time is off too.

On the way out I was feeling pretty good and couldn`t stop singing ``I shot the Sherriff`` in my best Bob Marley voice over and over again. I guess it`s a successful surgery when you get a room full of men handling your gear and you come out singing reggae tunes!

On the way home it occurred to us that I wasn`t given any postcare instructions... with all that singing I forgot to ask. How am I going to wash around this hardware? When do these stitches come out? Who takes them out? The HomeCare nurse is coming tomorrow to change my dressing and flush my new line; I hope she knows... maybe if I sing her a little Bobby?

No comments: