Sunday, April 26, 2009

Cancer can be a real Drag!


I went to a Drag Queen fundraiser for the cancer society last night. That’s right, even Drag Queens get cancer!

At the end of the talent show the host, a cancer survivor, (also a Frenchmen and a Drag Queen) said his very dramatic thank you’s and shared his story. It was a very surreal moment. This emancipated man in a bad red wig with hideous make-up, red heels, camouflage pants and a t-shirt that said “I (heart) Solder Boyz” across his fake boobs was sashaying up and down the isle waving his hands and carrying on about the severity of cancer.
It reminded me a lot of the end scene in the Rocky Horror Picture Show where Dr. Frankenfurter sings “I’m going home” boa and all. And all I kept thinking was this guy/girl represents cancer!!!

Well yes he/she does! Cancer doesn’t care what colour your skin is, whether it’s God, Buddha or Vishnu, the size of your jeans, or who you fuck… no one is immune to cancer! The faster we all get that through our head (including me) the faster we’ll find a cure.

No comments: