Monday, April 20, 2009

One Last Hurrah!


My Aunt sent me an email 2 weeks before Easter saying “let me take you away” and so off we went! Although that restless ‘I’ve got to get away’ feeling had died down from the ‘Id chew my own foot off its leash if I only had somewhere to go’ feeling I had in February; I still welcomed the escape.

Planning to fly standby we hoped we could make it to Spain so I spent a bit of time looking up things to do and see. Then very last minute we discovered that our options had narrowed to London or Puerto Rico… in April you go to PR, not rainy LDN.

At the airport we arrived last minute travelling carry on, breezed through security, got upgraded to executive class and once we were high in the sky I realized I didn’t know a thing about Puerto Rico except that most Puerto Ricans live in New York.

My Aunt had thought to bring a guide book which I quickly outlined way too many things for us to do within a couple of days, but we gave it our best shot. Every day was a busy day of walking, trekking and hiking around PR… which for me often turned into trudging. There were so many times when I should have stopped, slowed down and taken a break but I pushed on (usually up hill) and arrived everywhere a sweaty breathless mess; but I arrived.

I’ve just been so desperate to “do”. “Do” anything! I’m a “doer”, and I’ve been “doin” nothing for soooo long I really just wanted to be as active as possible, but my physical limits were apparent even as I trudged on past them. But I would do it all again and more as I had a great time and got to see (and “do”) so many things that will carry with me into the coming months of chemo boredom.

1 comment:

Daria said...

Sounds like a great trip ... I've recently started following your blog ... I invite you to visit mine ... I'm trying to build a community of cancer survivors.

Please stop by .... thanks!