Monday, November 16, 2009

Day 3&4: looked worse than it was!


I think we did something really smart in that we followed a strict medication, foods & fluids schedule. With nausea and pain (I was still sore from the permacath) it’s important to stay ahead of the feeling by have the medication steady in your body.

Every morning my Aunt woke me up at 7 am to take my nausea meds with a bowl of oatmeal in bed. Then I slept until the next pill around the time the nurse would come and change my bag of saline. I didn’t feel like eating much because of the metal taste in my mouth, but my Aunt made sure I ate just enough and drank just enough at the right times. We also set my alarm in the middle of the night to take my pills. So I never went too long and I have to say this big bad blast of chemo went better than expected.

This type of chemo (DHAP) can be really hard on your kidneys so they order at home hydration for you for about 3 days after chemo. I stayed on it for 7 (plus I had already been on it for 3 or 4 by that point) because of blood pressure levels and I'm not a very good drinker after chemo. I knew Id never be able to gulp down the 8+ glasses of water a day required to care for my kidneys, so I stayed on the hydration to "puff" me out... I mean help me out.

1 comment:

Heat said...

I had the metal taste can't-drink-water problem. I got around it by eating popsicles :) (They tasted OK to me, for whatever reason.) If you're on saline, I guess it's not an issue, but just in case you need to hydrate yourself, it might help.