Tuesday, January 05, 2010

The only person cancer really affects is you!

I went into work for 3 hours today just to help out around the office. I didn’t get very much done but that is because everything is so disorganized the smallest task tasks 3 times as long to complete. At least some things never change. I did manage to buy some snow tires and book a visit to a client this afternoon. Days like this I'm glad I'm not “really” working.

Last night I sent out another “this is what’s happening” update to friends. I am sick of answering the same cancer questions over and over and really feel that people are so self absorbed that they don’t read or retain any of the cancer information I do tell them. It’s insulting and I'm doing my best not to get upset. I'm trying to be understanding that its complex – but honestly I haven’t even told them the complex stuff, it’s just that it doesn’t affect them so they forget it and then think its okay to touch base with me every couple of months about it like it’s nothing more than “how’s that new car running?” conversation.

“So what’s going on with the cancer stuff, what kind is it again?” “I just heard you were doing another treatment, I'm so sorry, I thought you were cured?” (Why because you stopped asking about it last year so you assumed I was done with it too?) “So you just had your stem cell collection, when do they take your bone marrow?”

If after 20 months of this shit you still don’t know what kind of cancer I have, and are not reading my updates - don’t even talk to me!

No comments: