Sunday, January 03, 2010

It's all in good cold fun!

Went night skiing last night because it was supposed to be a mild night; it was -15C but I did alright. Normally my feet go numb and painful, but the boots I borrowed were pretty good. It was my fingers went numb towards the last runs so badly that I couldn’t continue or pry my poles out of my hands.
Once my fingers (and toes) get cold they have no ability to warm themselves, as is the nature of Raynaud's Phenomenon, and it is very uncomfortable when you lose the use of your fingers and can be painful when they warm back up. Allot of people in my cancer group now have the “white finger” syndrome after chemo, plus an array of other circulation problems.
It really takes the fun out of winter sports if you don’t do everything you can to keep your extremities warm... but either way I was really proud of my self for having the strength and energy to ski in-between chemo's!

1 comment:

Daria said...

Tam that is amazing ... skiing between chemo treatments. Good for you.