Thursday, October 22, 2009

Who's the Horse's Ass now?


After my September meeting I didn’t here from anybody at the hospital about a start date, but I didn’t call them either. I knew that we had agreed that I would start mid-October, but calling to ask exactly when I start was really hard for me. It was like calling to book a flogging, no thanks!

I waited about a week after returning from Toronto expecting to go into treatment anyday and then finally called the BMT office myself to see what was what. The coordinator told me that since I had asked for a second opinion at another hospital I had been taken off the BMT list because I wasn’t considered “committed” and they were now scheduling for end of November. That’s total bullshit and I had a series of meltdowns over several phone calls back and forth.

The only reason my doctor agreed to refer me for the second opinion was because I made the case that I was still committed to going ahead with the treatment here and I just really wanted to know what the protocol was like elsewhere – but that unless they had margarita service by men in Speedos at the other hospital, I was going ahead here mid-October. And in-fact you are not allowed to have treatment in another city that you do not live in provided the city you live has the proper facilities – which mine does. So everyone knows I can’t damn well have treatment anywhere else.

I think they screwed up and tried to place the blame on the patient; which the coordinator did a great job of that telling me that I aught to have known this would happen and pointed out the original delay from October 1st to mid-October was mine. She played into all my fears as I sobbed over the phone that no one told me this could happen otherwise I wouldn’t have done it, every day my cancer is growing, what if this delay affects my outcome – my god what have I done.

Well she pulled out the “that’s right you screwed up sweetheart card, but I'm gonna help you out” card and managed to squeeze me in for a November 6th start date. I thanked her profusely for saving my ass. Only after a day of shaking and crying did I start to recall the September conversation with my doctor and the things other nurses had said and realized this was a booking error, not a Tam error. That coordinator was the one that got my ass into this situation, and now I feel like an ass for thanking her when she “fixed” it.

But that doesn’t change anything, if there’s no room at the inn, there’s no room inn. So I wait… but now I'm pissed… I wish I could kick some coordinator ass!
Ass, Ass, Ass!

No comments: